Riding fast (or even slow) motorbikes is a
sensation which, once experienced, is never forgotten. It all started
quite a while ago for me, but I still really can't imagine not having a
bike waiting in the garage.
I meet up and ride with a lot of people
from the usenet news group uk.rec.motorcycles.
People here talk about everything, occasionally including
bikes. Dip in and see what's going on, but make sure you've
read the FAQ first.
One article I posted on ukrm which has
been quite popular is
Getting your knee down 101. So popular has it been that I've
put it up here too.
I passed my test on 7th February
1980. So, on (or near) the 7th February 2000, I threw a party
to celebrate 20 Years on
Bikes I've owned
It all began at the age of 16 in 1979, and one thing just led
- 1979 - Honda SS50 moped - first bike
- 1980 - Kawasaki Z200 - first 'proper' bike
- 1981 - Kawasaki Z400D (twin) - pretty cool for the sixth
- 1982 - Kawasaki Z650B2 - just arrived at University
- 1983 - Kawasaki Z750E1 - Z650 died after dispatch riding
- 1984 - Kawasaki GPZ750 turbo - first job, first pay packet
- yee haw!. See my End to End Run
article. 36 years later, I even made the Daily Telegraph
- 1986 - Harris Magnum 3 (with Kawasaki 750 turbo engine) - I
fancied a special. Pictures here.
- 1987 - Kawasaki GT750 - as well as the Harris, for holidays
and two-up trips
- 1988 - Kawsaki GPX750 - I fancied a bit of racing. Some
(rather poor) racing photos are here
- 1989 - Kawasaki ZXR750 (first in the UK) - try racing on
- 1989 - Kawasaki ZX10 - ooh, this racing is a bit expensive,
so back to road bikes
- 1989 - Yamaha FJ1100 - 6 months riding round Australia
- 1990 - Kawasaki ZX10 - for when I got back to the UK
- 1991 - Kawasaki ZZR1100 (C2) - faster than a ZX10. Picture
from the Bol d'Or here
- 1994 - Kawasaki ZZR1100 (D1) - and now it's got a fuel
- 1999 - Kawasaki ZX9R (c2) - enough of practicality - let's
go crazy! (Here's a picture)
- 2001 - Suzuki GSX-R 1000 - early mid-life crisis made me do
it. A mad, bad
machine. And, even when two years old and with over 20k miles
on the clock, good enough to win
the street class at Ramsey
- 2002 - Kawasaki ZX7R - racing again. We raced in
the KRC Endurance series for 4 years, and had some great times.
And only a few lousy ones.
- 2005 - Kawasaki ZX10R. The Suzuki was a little
long in the tooth, and I've always been a Kawasaki man at heart.
And this thing is a monster.
- Went to the TT in 2002 after a ten year break (I first went
in 1984 - eh, them were't days...), and then again in 2003, where I won
my class in Ramsey Sprint, as did my mate Keith on his Jota.
See the grinning fools here,
and a rather dull picture of me leaving the line here.
Oh, and Keith let me do a lap on his Jota
- a boyhood dream come true.
- In 2004, 20 years after first visiting the Isle of Man, I
raced at the Manx Grand Prix. Read my Manx diary here.
- In 2006 and 2007, I raced at the Manx again, on better
machinery each year, and getting faster each time. Diaries
for both years are here.